Saturday, June 20, 2015

Don"t You Look At Me So Reproachfully.



Don"t you look at me so reproachfully.
I do not  bear malice to you,
But  I like your appearance awfully
And your seeming modesty,  too

Yes, you seem to be openhearted,
And I"d rather  be glad to see
How a fox pretending departed
Catches crows like you want to catch me.

Try to  catch me, I won"t  be daunted
Mind, you don"t have your ardour restrained!
Many girls of your kind have haunted
Stumbling over my heart that waned.

It"s not you that I love, my dearie,
You"re only an echo, a shade,
I imagine a different  girlie,
Oh so beautiful blue-eyed maid!

Though she isn"t so humble-looking
And  appears to be rather cool,
Her majestic manner of walking
Has rekindled the depth of my soul.

She"s a girl that cannot be cheated,
Notwithstanding your will she"ll entice,
Whereas you can"t be possibly  fitted
In my heart with embellished lies.

Though I scorn you,  yet like a layman
I will shyly and openly say:
If there weren"t any  hell and heaven
Man would think something up anyway.

December 1st, 1925

No comments: